Nov 5, 2009

Across The Sea with El Scorcho

Pinkerton is still my favorite album from Weezer despite being considered a flop and even labeled as one of the worst album in 1996 by Rolling Stones. Maybe there was a huge expectations after the success of Weezer's debut, The Blue Album and people expected music video ala Buddy Holly which they refused to do anymore.

Why I like the album:
  • Straight forward and provocatively funny lyric. Most of the lyric was written from personal stand while Rivers was studying at Harvard. Even though quite a few times he admit that the album was hideous and it is like spilling your guts in front of everyone.
  • GEEK - POWER POP - TEEN ANGST. It is dark and much more personal, teen angst with loud guitar...and I was 16 when the album was released. Make sense.
  • Raw sound. I really mean raw, when I heard the sound of strings squeaked, fingers sliding on the strings and even the sound of guitar's amp humming. I can only imagine the mics are all over the studio and hi-hat and cymbals battering and the sound of amp tube. It is like jamming with the band in your bedroom.
  • Gibson guitars. Les-Paul, flying V, SG give true meaning of garage band rocka rolla.
  • The song "Butterfly". My favorite track from Pinkerton. The song gives significant end to the frenetic and noisy album.
The lyrics are damn funny, read some..

I'm dumb, she's a lesbian
I thought I had found the one
We were good as married in my mind
But married in my mind's no good
"Pink Triangle"

I asked you to go to the Green Day concert
You said you never heard of them
How cool is that?
So I went to your room and read your diary:
"Watching Grunge leg-drop New-Jack through a press table..."
And then my heart stopped, listening to Cio-Cio san
"El Scorcho"

All of the drugs she does
Scare me real good
She's got a tattoo and two pet snakes
Nobody knows me like her
Nobody knows her like me
"No other one"

At 10 I shaved my head and tried to be a monk
I thought the older women would like me if i did
You see mom, I'm a good little boy
"Across the sea"

When I look in the mirror, I can't believe what I see
Tell me, who's that funky dude, staring back at me?
"The good life"

I'm spread
So thin
I don't know who I am (who I am)
Monday night I'm making Jen
Tuesday night I'm making Lyn
Wednesday night I'm making Catherine
"Tired of sex"

On the contrary, this album in any other way influenced the emo/alternative/pop shitty bands that we have to suffer through today.

I came across to write this entry last week while I was doing 5S in my home office. I found 3 boxes containing cds and mp3s of bands/singers that I used to listen. Some of them still produce good music, some already dead and some have been abducted by alien and recently return to earth producing odd and weird new album like Silverchair. Ha ha.

2 comments:

♛ LORD ZARA 札拉 ♛ said...

....and I wonder why I kept listening to F**K You (Very Much) by Lily Allen recently~

Mungkin sebab aku lupa kat mana folder Avenged Sevenfold aku~ Huhuhu~

Eh, Weezer nampak best, mungkin aku kena jinakkan telinga aku dengar lagunya~

Azhan said...

weezer mmg cool, tak perlu matching outfit, muka vokalis jambu mcm kebanyakkan band skrg...

A7X tak masuk list cd aku lerr...terasa muda sangat

ha ha